Saturday 16 March 2013

POUNDED YAM

To be brutally honest I don't make pounded yam too often and I actually can easily count how many times I made it so far. I know, I should make it for our peaceful marriage sake but ........-....excuses..-....

So at the moment my dear husband needs to eat more rice than yam. Sorry. :)

However I do know a bit about yam. I know e.g. that traditionally pounded yam is made by boiling yams in a pot, and once cooked, it is placed in a mortar and pounded or beaten into a smooth textured dough with a three-five foot tall pestle. Thanks to modern technology, there are now other ways of preparing poundo yam.

This involves yam been processed into a dried powder either by sun drying yam or commercially using desiccating machines. All you need to do is sprinkle the powder into a pot of boiling water and stir the mixture until you obtain your desired texture, then you allow this to cook for a few minutes.

Yam is a good source of energy. 100 g provides 118 calories. It mainly composed of complex carbohydrates and soluble dietary fiber. Together, they raise blood sugar levels rather very slowly than simple sugars and therefore, recommended as the low glycemic index healthy food. And dietary fiber helps reduce constipation, decrease bad  cholesterol levels and prevent colon cancer risks.

BUT when you eat pounded yam think about what your nutritional goals are. If you want to lose weight pounded yam maybe not the best choice on the daily basis. In fact, if you take 2 or 3 portions to your stew cooked with goat and a lot of palm oil it will help you GAIN WEIGHT.

This is because pounded yam is high in carbohydrate and relatively high in calories. One slice of pounded yam is 130 kcal and think about how many slices you would normally take. One slice is probably something that my ten months old boy can finish without problem.

I know it's very delicious but you have to reduce its consumption in your diet when you are trying to lose weight.


Sources:

http://www.nutrition-and-you.com/yams.html

1 comment:

  1. I found this is an informative and interesting post so i think so it is very useful and knowledgeable. I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this article.
    customerhealthguide

    ReplyDelete